This Celery and Stilton Soup (blue cheese) is a rich, creamy and easy soup that's bursting with bold taste. Make it in just 20 minutes.
This rich and creamy Celery Blue Cheese Soup brings together the wonderful flavours of blue cheese (aka stilton or gorgonzola), tangy apples and fragrant celery.
It's super quick and easy to make in just 20 minutes. It's a creamy bowl of deliciousness with a big flavor.
There's something incredibly comforting about a bowl of soup, especially when the weather takes a chilly turn.
And if you're in the mood for a unique and utterly delicious flavor combination, you've got to try this Celery and Stilton Soup.
It's creamy, savory, and slightly tangy, making it the perfect choice for a heartwarming meal.
Now, I know what you might be thinking - celery in a soup? But trust me, when you blend it up with the creamy goodness of Stilton cheese (blue cheese) and a touch of apple sweetness, it becomes something truly extraordinary.
It's also a great post-holidays dish, since you can use up any leftover blue cheese!
This recipe was first created on January 20, 2016 and updated with next photos and text on September 19, 2023.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Unique Flavor Profile: This soup combines the earthy, slightly peppery taste of celery with the rich, creamy, and tangy notes of Stilton cheese. It's a flavor pairing you won't find in your everyday soup.
- Creamy and Comforting: The addition of heavy cream gives this soup a luxurious and velvety texture that's incredibly comforting. It's like a warm hug in a bowl.
- Quick and Easy: With minimal ingredients and simple steps, you can whip up a batch of this soup in no time. It's perfect for busy weeknights or when you're craving a homemade meal without the fuss.
- Healthy Veggies: Celery is a low-calorie vegetable packed with vitamins and minerals. This soup is a tasty way to incorporate more veggies into your diet.
- Quick and Easy: This celery and stilton soup is ready in just 25 minutes.
- Leftover Love: This soup is a great way to use up leftover blue cheese, particularly after Christmas.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this Celery and Blue Cheese Soup!
- Onion: Adds a sweet and savory base to the soup.
- Garlic: Infuses the soup with aromatic depth.
- Oil: Used for sautéing and adding richness to the soup.
- Celery: The star of the show, providing a unique earthy flavor.
- Apple: Adds a touch of sweetness and complements the celery.
- Vegetable Stock/Broth: The liquid base for the soup, enhancing the overall flavor.
- Heavy Cream (Double Cream): Gives the soup its luxurious, creamy texture.
- Stilton/Blue Cheese: The star of the show, adding a tangy and salty punch. Use blue cheese, stilton, roquefort, gorgonzola...
- Salt and Pepper: Seasoning essentials.
To cook this celery and blue cheese soup recipe, you'll also need:
- Large pot - one big enough to hold 4 portions of soup.
- Blender - to puree the soup recipe, you'll need either a standard jug blender or a handheld stick immersion blender.
- Onion: You can use leeks or shallots for a milder flavor.
- Heavy Cream: Substitute with half-and-half or milk for a lighter version.
- Stilton/Blue Cheese: If you're not a fan of blue cheese, try Gorgonzola or even a sharp cheddar for a different twist.
How to make Celery and Stilton Soup
This recipe is super easy to make! Just follow these step by step instructions, then scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full ingredients list and method.
Peel and chop the onion and chop the celery.
Peel, core and chop the apple.
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium/low heat. Add the diced onion and celery and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes or until softened.
Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Add the diced apple and vegetable stock, stir well and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the cream and blue cheese, season with salt and pepper, and heat for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
Puree with an immersion blender until smooth (or leave some chunks if you like texture in your soup).
Serve with crumbled stilton/blue cheese.
This Celery and Stilton Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
If you want to freeze it, do so before adding the cream and cheese.
When reheating, gently warm it over low heat, stirring occasionally to maintain its creamy consistency.
You can enjoy this Celery Stilton Soup on its own, or with these accompaniments.
If you love this Blue Cheese Celery Soup recipe, then I hope you'll also love these other soup recipes too!
- Sautéing for Flavor: Don't rush the initial step of sautéing the onion and celery. Cooking them slowly and patiently brings out their flavors and sweetness.
- Texture Control: If you prefer a smoother soup, use an immersion blender until it's velvety. For some texture, leave a few chunks.
- Balancing Act: Adjust the amount of Stilton cheese to your taste. If you want it milder, use less; for a more intense flavor, add more.
- Creamy Finish: When adding the cream and cheese, ensure the heat is low to prevent curdling. Stir continuously until everything is well combined and smooth.
Absolutely! You can substitute Stilton with Gorgonzola, Roquefort, or even a sharp cheddar for a different flavor profile.
This soup is a great make-ahead option. Prepare it a day in advance, refrigerate, and reheat when you're ready to enjoy it.
Celery and Stilton Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 stems/ribs of celery chopped
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock / broth 500ml
- ⅓ cup heavy cream / double cream 100ml
- ½ cup stilton / blue cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium/low heat. Add the diced onion and celery and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the diced apple and vegetable stock, stir well and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and blue cheese, season with salt and pepper, and heat for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
- Puree with an immersion blender until smooth (or leave some chunks if you like texture in your soup).
- Serve with extra crumbled stilton/blue cheese.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.