This velvety zucchini courgette soup is a tasty way to use up the summer squash. It's quick, easy and delicious and you only need 5 ingredients and 15 minutes. Plus, this recipe only has 46 calories and 2 Weight Watchers points!
This is my favorite summer soup. And I'm a huge soup fan, so that's saying a lot.
Not only does it use up loads of courgettes (zucchini), but it only takes a few minutes to make, but it's healthy and really delicious.
Courgettes can seem a little bland if they're overcooked, but in soup they really come into their own. Definitely leave the skin on the courgette as you want as much of that tasty green goodness in your soup. Add a bit of basil and it's an absolute delight.
I'm from Canada, where courgette is called zucchini, so I tend to use both words for it interchangeably.
I also call touque's bobble hats sometimes, aubergine eggplant and colouring pencils pencil crayons. So bear with me if both courgette and zucchini are sprinkled around this soup recipe! What can I say, I'm bilingual after 20-odd years in the UK.
Regardless of the name, this zucchini soup will surely make it regularly onto your late summer meal plan. I love the deep flavor and just how quick and easy it is to make! Make it more filling with some cheesy garlic rolls, 15 minute flatbreads or these vegan rolls.
I wanted to make this zucchini soup recipe really healthy.
I found that naturally, the soup is really creamy so leaving out any cream or milk is absolutely fine and doesn't affect the taste.
It makes it naturally vegan and lower in calories.
See, that's the beauty of this soup. It's not even trying to be healthy, but it just is!
There's not healthy shortcuts or substitutions.
It's just a really awesome courgette soup recipe that happens to be good for you! Win-win.
To make it healthier, choose a low sodium vegetable stock/broth.
I was once served courgette soup in a restaurant with spiralised raw courgette and I loved the way it adds extra texture to the smooth creamy soup.
It's not an essential part of the recipe by any means, but I urge you to try it!
It's an easy garnish that really adds to the soup.
Step by step tutorial
This zucchini soup is really quick and easy to make. Here are the step by step photos to help you.
Scroll down for the full recipe.
1. Chop the unpeeled raw courgette (zucchini) into small chunks.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and sautee the onion for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add the garlic and courgettes, lower the heat slightly, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 7 minutes or until the courgettes are lightly browned and softened.
4. Check them often and give them a stir.
5. Add the vegetable stock and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
6. Pour into a blender (or use a hand held immersion blender), with the basil.
7. Whiz until smooth then pour into bowls and serve. If desired, top with raw spiralised zucchini and a grinding of black pepper.
Leftover courgette from this healthy courgette soup recipe? Try these recipes!
If you still have more to use up, check out my list of the 26 Best Zucchini Recipes!
Get the recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 1/4 lb (1 kg) courgettes roughly chopped into bite-sized chunks (approx 4 medium courgettes/zucchini)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 1/4 pint (750 ml) vegetable stock/broth
- handful basil leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and black pepper
To serve (optional)
- Spiralised zucchini
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium/low heat, then add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and courgettes, lower the heat slightly, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 7 minutes or until the courgettes are lightly browned and softened. Check them often and give them a stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into a blender (or use a hand held immersion blender), along with the basil and whiz until smooth.
- Season and serve in bowls topped with spiralised raw courgette/zucchini (if desireand freshly ground black pepper.