This beetroot soup is vibrant, smooth and full of flavour. You only need 6 ingredients for this smooth, creamy and tasty vegan or vegetarian beet soup. It is similar to borscht soup and it's hearty and filling and each bowl only has 139 calories!
This smooth and velvety beetroot soup is absolutely delicious. It's really easy to make and you only need 6 ingredients.
I love the vibrant colour that the soup takes on and it's wonderfully contrasted both in colour and flavour by the fresh sprigs of dill garnish.
Time saving tip: I roasted beets for this recipe, but if you're short on time, feel free to substitute canned or vacuum packed beets (not in vinegar).
This soup is warming, rich, earthy and full of goodness.
Originally published April 2019. Updated and republished June 2020 with revised text, step by step images and recipe video.
Why this is the BEST beet soup
- This is a quick and easy blender soup.
- Beetroots are a great source of folic acid, fibre, manganese and potassium.
- I serve this beetroot soup hot, but you could also serve it cold.
- It's super simple to make.
- It has a wonderful earthy/sweet flavor that makes the most of beets.
Here are a few FIVE STAR reviews of this beet soup recipe from my lovely readers!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "We loved this soup, it was super easy and very tasty especially comforting on a cold winter’s day." - Gill
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "I made this at the weekend. So easy and tasty. We had it as a starter for a family meal." - Demi
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "This is such a great soup! I love beetroot but usually, just use it for salads. Delicious and super easy!! - Helen
Storage and Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, this soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Freeze the completely cooled soup in a freezer-safe airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge overnight before reheating.
To Make It Vegan: This beet soup is vegan, but be sure to check the labels and don't swirl in any yogurt or cream unless it's vegan.
Traditional Borscht is a sweet/sour beet soup that's popular in loads of countries such as Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Lithuania and Belarus.
There are many country variations and regional variations within them, so it's not the sort of recipe that you can pin down to specific ingredients.
It can be served hot or cold, with or without meat and with various vegetables. Here's a traditional Ukrainian Borscht.
My version is a vegetarian / vegan beetroot soup that's made with roasted beets in the blender and flavoured with a little fresh dill.
It's easy, quick and delicious.
How to make beet soup
This is a super quick and easy soup to make! Just follow these step by step photo instructions for perfect results. Then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Trim the beets, then roast in a tray for 30 mins or until cooked through.
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and celery and cook until softened - about 5 mins.
Add the beets and veg stock/broth. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the chopped dill and puree the soup with an immersion (stick) blender or regular blender.
Use up any leftover ingredients
Here are some recipe ideas to help reduce food waste and save money by using up any extra ingredients you have left over from making this recipe.
More soup recipes
I hope that you'll love this beet soup recipe just as much as we do! Be sure to try these other great soup recipes too.
If you're looking for more vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out my list of 25+ Vegan Soup Recipes!
Get the Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers.
- 17 oz (500g) raw beets (approx 4 beetroots)
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 4 ¼ cups (750ml) vegetable stock/broth (low sodium is best)
- 2 tablespoons dill chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Sprigs of dill
- Yogurt or dairy free yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Top and tail the beetroot, then wash them and cut into small chunks. Place them onto a baking tray and drizzle with half the oil and stir to coat. Roast for 30 minutes or until cooked through and they begin to darken.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the roasted beets and stock/broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped dill and puree the soup with a hand blender or carefully transfer to a blender and whiz.
- Serve in bowls with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkling of dill.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.