This easy vegan Mexican Bean Soup is a hearty bowl full of flavour. It's rammed with beans and veggies, and is deliciously spiced and warming. The best thing is you can make this recipe in just 15 minutes!
Mexican Bean Soup
This Mexican bean soup is packed with healthy veggies, loads of warm spices and lots of nourishing protein and fibre packed beans.
BUT, it's also really quick and easy. It only takes 15 minutes to make!
It's full of tasty Mexican flavors, in a bowl of delicious nourishment.
I adore soups at this time of year.
When the leaves fall like rain and the rain falls like, well, rain, I just want to bundle up and eat a nourishing bowl of goodness.
Soup is the ultimate comfort food. It's warming and the flavour varieties are endless.
It's also super easy to make at home.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your freezer is your friend.
Not only is it great for stashing leftovers and batch cooking, but it's a saviour if you load it up with the essentials needed for meals.
I'm a huge convert now to frozen chopped onions. They just make life so much easier if you don't have to weep over the chopping yourself.
I also always keep plenty of chopped garlic, chillis and ginger in my freezer too.
Add all those together with a tin of chopped tomatoes, some veggies and pulses and you can have a quick meal in minutes.
That's what I did for this meal.
I love a super easy convenient meals so... voila: Mexican Bean Soup.
The results are a beautifully spiced, hearty soup that's bursting with flavour and goodness.
You can use fresh, canned or frozen ingredients to make it really convenient!
Use frozen pulses and veggies for convenience.
Save hassle chopping onion and garlic - use frozen pre-chopped.
Adjust the heat to your liking. Mine is fairly mild, so add more if you like it spicy.
Make it a full meal with corn on the cob, salsa and nachos and other Mexican foods.
I love adding toppings to soup - add avocado, cilantro/coriander, a wedge of lime or even grilled corn, more pulses or crispy tortillas.
Serve alongside my Mexican Grilled Chipotle Salad served in a tortilla bowl.
A horchata is the perfect drink to serve with this soup - a refreshing, creamy, sweet vegan Latin American and Mexican drink with a big, punchy flavour from the cinnamon
Storage and Freezing
This soup is freezer friendly.
Keep this Mexican bean soup in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This soup is vegan and gluten-free.
How to Make Mexican Bean Soup
Follow my step by step photos for the perfect Mexican Bean Soup. It's easy and delicious.
Then scroll down for the full ingredients list and instructions in the recipe card.
1: Cook the onions in a pan for a few minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2: Add the beans, corn, stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and herbs.
3: Give it all a good stir, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
4: Taste and add more spice if desired.
If you're looking for more vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out my list of 25+ VEGAN SOUP RECIPES!
Get the Mexican Bean Soup Recipe
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers.
You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
Disclosure: This recipe was commissioned by Birds Eye. All opinions are my own.
Mexican Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans 400g/15oz cans mixed beans, rinsed and drained (or 450g Birds Eye frozen Mexican bean mix)
- 600 ml (2 ½ cups) vegetable stock/broth
- 400 g (15 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 6 tbsp canned or frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes or to taste
- Salt and pepper
To serve (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Avocado sliced
- Dried chilli flakes
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion and cook, stirring often for 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the beans, stock, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, oregano and chilli powder.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls, optionally topped with coriander/cilantro, lime wedges, avocado and chilli flakes.
- Save the hassle of chopping onion and garlic - use frozen pre-chopped.
- Adjust the heat to your liking. Mine is fairly mild, so add more if you like it spicy.
- Make it a full meal with corn on the cob, salsa and nachos and other Mexican foods.
- I love adding toppings to soup - add avocado, cilantro/coriander, a wedge of lime or even grilled corn, more pulses or crispy tortillas.
- This soup is freezer friendly.
- This soup is vegan and gluten-free.