Pea Cupcakes? Yes, really! I've used delicately sweet green peas, along with lemon and lavender to add a surprising green colour to these cupcakes. They're fragrant and zesty, plus they have an incredible Earl Grey icing. It's a flavor bomb!
These cupcakes are like a burst of springtime.
I know peas in a cupcake sound bonkers, but trust me, it works! I love tinkering with flavors and creating unusual vegetable cake and cupcakes recipes (so much so that I wrote a cookbook about them!).
For this vegetable cupcake recipe, I've used peas. They're sweet, delicate and pair beautifully with zingy lemon and fragrant lavender.
So, taking the ubiquitous frozen pea, I've used it as the base to these cupcakes, where they add a delicate sweetness.
what do they taste like?
In these pea cupcakes, the pea taste is very very subtle. The flavor fades away beneath the stronger aromas of lemon and lavender.
But the peas still give these cupcakes a lovely bright green colour.
If your freezer is anything like mine, then there is always a big bag of frozen peas on the go (my kids like to have pea-eating races).
So I usually have everything on hand to whip up these babies (the cupcakes, not my kids).
Think of these cupcakes as tasting like lemon and lavender cupcakes - they just happen to be green and have some hidden vegetable in them!
They taste great with the floral notes of the tea-infused Buttercream.
vegetable desserts and cake recipes
I hope you love these cupcakes. If you're looking for other vegetable desserts, then try these tasty cakes and treats!
Vanilla and Pea Cake with Lemon Icing
Beet Cookies with Dark Chocolate
Vanilla Spinach Cake
Spinach Almond Cupcakes
Easy Carrot Cake
get the lemon, lavender and pea cupcakes with earl grey frosting recipe
Did you make this pea dessert recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Follow me on Instagram * Twitter * Facebook * Pinterest * Youtube
Lemon, Lavender and Pea Cupcakes
- 1 cup (150g) frozen peas
- ½ cup (150g) butter room temperature
- ½ cup (125g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried edible lavender ground in a pestle and mortar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup (150g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Earl Grey Buttercream
- ⅓ cup (75g) butter room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) powdered icing sugar sifted
- 2 earl grey tea bags
- 2 tablespoon milk warmed
For the Pea Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325F / 170C. Grease or line a muffin tray.
- Cook the peas according to packet instructions, drain, puree and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and lavender until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the cooled pea puree and lemon zest.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt, then stir gently until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with the buttercream when cold.
For the Earl Grey Frosting
- Steep the tea bags in the warm milk for about ten minutes and allow to cool. Carefully cream the butter and icing sugar together in a large bowl. Blend in the tea-infused milk until fluffy.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
A other absolutely gorgeous combination of tastes, I bow before your creativity!
I left out the lavender (didn’t have any) but made them anyway with the kids. They were great. Just used a plain vanilla frosting. Yumm