Pineapple Compote is an easy, tasty topping! You only need 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make this flavourful fruit sauce. Vanilla makes it extra special and you could also add a splash of rum for grown ups. Enjoy it on waffles, yogurt, ice cream and more.
Pineapple compote is really easy to make, using fresh, frozen or canned pineapple.
It caramelises as it cooks and creates a sauce that's bursting with sweet zingy flavour.
The versatile compote is livened up with a little vanilla essence and you can even add a splash of spiced rum for an extra grown up flavour.
It's quick, easy, vegan, gluten-free and great on so many dishes.
Enjoy pineapple compote warm or cold and try it:
I make compote all the time.
It's a great way to use up fruit and veggies that aren't at their best anymore or to use up a glut or excess in the freezer.
Breakfast turns into something special with a little spiced berry compote on a hot bowl of porridge or coconut rice pudding.
Compote is similar to jam, but it's quicker to make and is more like stewed fruit with sugar. Chunks of fruit swim in a thick sweet fruity sauce.
Be sure to check out my list of the Best Fruit Compote Recipes.
Step by step tutorial
It's really quick and easy to make this versatile pineapple sauce.
To help, here are step by step tutorial photos to make sure you have every success when you make it.
1: Peel, core and chop the fresh pineapple into chunks (or use canned or frozen)
2: Add the sugar, pineapple juice or water and lime juice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium/low heat.
3: Reduce the heat, add the pineapple chunks and simmer for to reduce slightly.
4: Dissolve the cornflour/cornstarch in 1 tbsp of water and stir it in. Return to the stove and heat to thicken further.
5: Stir in the vanilla and rum (if using). Allow to cool and enjoy!
Get the Recipe
Did you make this compote recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
My cookbook, Veggie Desserts and Cakes, full of creative desserts with vegetables, is now available on Amazon (UK, Canada, USA, Australia and more) - affiliate link
Easy Vanilla Pineapple Compote
- 2 cups pineapple chunks peeled, cored and cut into chunks (or 300g/ 1 pineapple)
- ¾ cup (100g) light brown sugar lightly packed
- ½ cup (115ml) pineapple juice (or water)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum optional
- 1 tablespoon cornflour cornstarch
- Add the sugar, pineapple juice or water and lime juice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium/low heat.
- Reduce the heat, add the pineapple chunks and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Dissolve the cornflour/cornstarch in 1 tbsp of water and stir it in. Return to the stove and heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the vanilla and rum (if using). Allow to cool (it will thicken further as it cools).
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.