You only need 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make this flavourful pineapple compote. Vanilla makes it extra special and you could also add a splash of rum for grown ups. Enjoy it on waffles, yogurt, ice cream and more. Includes step by step tutorial.
Pineapple compote is really easy to make, using fresh, frozen or canned pineapple.
It caramelises as it cooks and creates a sauce that's bursting with sweet zingy flavour.
The versatile compote is livened up with a little vanilla essence and you can even add a splash of spiced rum for an extra grown up flavour.
It's quick, easy, vegan, gluten free and great on so many dishes.
Uses for Pineapple Compote
Enjoy compote warm or cold and try it:
I make compote all the time.
It's a great way to use up fruit and veggies that aren't at their best anymore or to use up a glut or excess in the freezer.
Breakfast turns into something special with a little spiced berry compote on a hot bowl of porridge or coconut rice pudding.
Compote is similar to jam, but it's quicker to make and is more like stewed fruit with sugar. Chunks of fruit swim in a thick sweet fruity sauce.
How to make Pineapple Compote
It's really quick and easy to make this versatile pineapple sauce.
To help, here are step by step tutorial photos to make sure you have every success when you make it.
1: Peel, core and chop the fresh pineapple into chunks (or use canned or frozen)
2 : Add the sugar, pineapple juice or water and lime juice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium/low heat.
3: Reduce the heat, add the pineapple chunks and simmer for to reduce slightly.
4: Dissolve the cornflour/cornstarch in 1 tbsp of water and stir it in. Return to the stove and heat to thicken further.
5: Stir in the vanilla and rum (if using). Allow to cool and enjoy!
Get the Vanilla Pineapple Compote Recipe
Did you make this compote recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
My cookbook, Veggie Desserts and Cakes, full of creative desserts with vegetables, is now available on Amazon (UK, Canada, USA, Australia and more) - affiliate link
Easy Vanilla Pineapple Compote
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored and cut into chunks (or 300g/ 2 cups pineapple chunks)
- 100 g light brown sugar (3/4 cup lightly packed)
- 115 ml pineapple juice (or water)
- 1 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark rum optional
- 1 tbsp cornflour cornstarch
- Add the sugar, pineapple juice or water and lime juice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium/low heat.
- Reduce the heat, add the pineapple chunks and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Dissolve the cornflour/cornstarch in 1 tbsp of water and stir it in. Return to the stove and heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the vanilla and rum (if using). Allow to cool (it will thicken further as it cools).