This beetroot salad uses the entire beetroot: root, stems and leaves. The earthy beetroot and sweet apple pairs beautifully with the creamy lemon and tahini dressing, which brightens up the flavours. Vegan and gluten free. 200 calories per serving.
This raw beetroot salad is full of flavor, texture and goodness. It's healthy and full of nutritious ingredients, which all bring their own delicious taste to this hearty salad.
I've used the entire beet in this salad - roots, stems and leaves. But if you can't get hold of the full beet, then you can add spinach to help bulk out the salad!
I love having a salad as my main dish for dinner, but it's also a fantastic side dish.
Try it alongside my vegan beet pizza (which also uses up the entire beetroot), or with my spinach burgers (vegan).
This dressing is smooth, creamy and bursting with flavour. It's the perfect topping to this earthy salad. Tahini is a sesame seed paste that's popular Internationally now, but comes from the Middle East. It adds vegan creaminess to dressings along with it's delicious flavor.
You only need 4 ingredients for the tahini dressing (tahini, oil, garlic, lemon juice plus salt and pepper). Shake it up and it is guaranteed to liven up any salad and give it a bit of extra pizazz!
You can even make your own tahini.
Recipe originally published 5 Sept 2016. Updated 26 April 2019.
A glut of apples
My garden has two large apple trees: one sweet, one tart. They grow rather wild and I probably should have pruned them by now. Like spindly fingers they reach higher and higher, their apples hanging ever more perilously far from the firm ground that eventually beckons them.
My gardening skills are rather lacking, but the trees don’t seem to mind. They flower, they fruit, they produce a seemingly endless bounty of organic apples regardless of how much I ignore them.
Undeterred by my mistreatment, the trees give me far more apples than we could ever use.
Try some of these recipes to use up your apples!
Walnut salad with apples
Apple cider cake
Ways to use up apples
We make crumbles and salad, cakes and juice. My freezer heaves with bags of homemade applesauce.
I have dreams of pressing our apples into cider and if we can’t get our hands on a press, we can take them to a local cider maker who can press them for us. Like many of our neighbours, we also leave a box of them out for anyone passing to help themselves to. My street is like a free apple buffet some days.
Apple cores and peelings (preferably from organic apples) don’t need to be binned or composted.
Apple peelings can be roasted in the oven with a little cinnamon for an easy snack, and they can be added to smoothies. Cores and peelings can also be turned into jam/jelly with only water, sugar and lemon juice. You can even use the peelings to infuse vodka or rum.
Ways to use up beets
Chocolate beetroot cake
Beetroot chocolate truffles
Ways to reduce food waste
- Beetroot greens (try to choose organic) are perfect for pesto, salad, or sauteed with oil and garlic as a quick side dish.
- Save the root ends of the spring onions with half an inch of the greens still attached and place them in a cup of water in a sunny windowsill and top up the water as necessary. They will regrow in about two weeks.
- Apple cores can be turned into apple cider vinegar with only sugar and water. Have a search online as there are loads of recipes. It’s easy but takes a few weeks.
- After you’ve foraged for blackberries, freeze any extras that won’t be eaten fresh. Place them in the freezer on a baking sheet in a single layer until frozen solid, then transfer to jars or bags to store more easily.
- Blackberries will last longer in the fridge if you don’t wash them until they’re about to be eaten.
Check out my list of 28 Healthy Salad Recipes!
Get the Recipe
Did you make this raw beet salad recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my beet salad with tahini dressing recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
Beetroot and Blackberry Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 2 medium-sized raw beetroots with stems and leaves attached approx 500g
- 1 apple
- 2 spring onions (scallions) chopped
- 1 handful blackberries or raspberries fresh or thawed
- ½ cup (75g) unsalted walnuts
For the Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons tahini
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the beetroots away from the stems and wash the roots, stems and leaves well. Cut off any long root tails, then without peeling, grate the beetroot into a large bowl.
- Wash and grate the unpeeled apple into the bowl. Slice the purple beet stems, chop the green beet leaves and them, along with the spring onions, to the bowl. Toss gently and set aside.
- In a frying pan, dry toast the walnuts over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant but not dark. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, mix all ingredients in a blender or shake in a jar until well combined.
- To serve, pile the salad on plates, top with the blackberries or raspberries and toasted walnuts, then drizzle with the dressing.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Very tasty salad. Healthy and easy too!
This salad was delicious. I love beetroots but had never thought of combining them together with apples. So good with the tahini dressing!
Sheri @ A Busy Bees Life
This is lovely. Makes me want to eat this off the screen, I love the different colors and the use of tahini dressing with olive oil. Scrumptious! And healthy.
Such a stunning looking salad! I'm always in awe of your creations, and this one is just as spectacular as ever!
The colours in this salad are so perfect for autumn and the flavours sounds wonderful. I love salads like this and I love how thrifty your tips are too!
That sounds delicious, and a lovely way to use up a glut of apples! I've just made apple crumble with ours, but will remember this recipe idea for another time!
I love beetroot greens, we had them in Nova Scotia where they waste nothing! This looks like a great combination of flavours and textures.
I love tahini but have never thought of enjoying it like this as a dressing.
Sus // roughmeasures.com
This is a lovely recipe! I have some apples and beets in my parents garden waiting for me, and can forage some blackberries from the hedgerow near us. Perfect!