Coconut cherry popsicles are a great way to use up the season's bounty. These frozen treats are creamy, flavourful and drizzled with dark chocolate then sprinkled with crushed almonds.
I love cherries. No, I adore cherries. There's something so special about them. They're tasteless until the height of summer, when suddenly the trees burst with delicious fruit and the greengrocer is pile high.
I always make the most of cherry season buy buying them up in bulk. I usually just eat them straight up and unadulterated, but sometimes I have so many that I need to get more creative. They're brilliant in smoothies and lovely in compote, but when it's hot out I want cherry popsicles.
These cherry popsicles are creamy and rich with a lovely flavour from fresh cherries. The cherry flavour mixes well with the coconut, milk and almond. When the dark chocolate drizzle hits the frozen ice lollies, it hardens instantly into a decadent shell. Perfect sprinkled with crushed almonds.
I know, pitting cherries can be a HUGE pain. I use a cherry pitter though, which makes it much easier. It's one of those gadgets that you never knew you needed but you can't live without. I only use it occasionally (for cherries and olives) but it saves a lot of frustration. It's inexpensive and so useful during cherry season. It's great for my lime and fresh cherry pie.
Be sure to also check out this guide: How to melt chocolate chips for tips to make the chocolate coating for your popsicles!
Get the recipe for Coconut Cherry Popsicles with Dark Chocolate and Crushed Almonds
If you make this cherry ice lolly recipe, please tag it with #veggiedesserts on Instagram or other social media. I LOVE seeing your recreations of my recipes.
Coconut Cherry Popsicles with Dark Chocolate and Crushed Almonds
- 250 g cherries
- 200 ml coconut milk (half a 400ml/15oz can)
- 100 ml milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon almond extract optional
- 100 g dark chocolate , chopped
- 50 g mixed nuts finely chopped
- Remove the cherry pits with a knife or cherry pitter.
- In a blender or food processor, blitz the cherries, coconut milk, milk and almond extract until completely smooth. Pour into ice lolly moulds and freeze until solid.
- To serve, melt the chocolate and set aside. Remove the cherry popsicles from the mould and drizzle the tips with the melted chocolate, then sprinkle with the chopped almonds. Enjoy!
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.