This vegan rice pudding recipe is rich, creamy and easy to make. I've topped it with a quick winter spiced berry compote that has a sweet sharpness that contrasts the rich pudding beautifully.
Rice pudding is such a simple, yet decadently rich dessert or tasty breakfast.
It's sweet, creamy and has that lovely distinctive texture from the pudding rice.
I'm sure you've had it before; it's such a retro classic. Being mild and sweet, I like it contrasted with a sweet/tart berry compote.
This winter-spiced berry compote is easy to make with frozen fruit and I've added warming winter spices for extra flavour and aroma.
For a bit of added crunch, sprinkle mine with mixed seeds or nuts.
For the vegan rice pudding, you can use any dairy-free milk that you like.
I prefer it with almond, but coconut, soya or oat milk would all work well.
They each bring their own flavour and creaminess to the dessert.
Why you'll love this recipe
It's a tasty comfort food recipe.
Vegan rice pudding tastes just as great as regular non-vegan.
It's a creamy and rich dessert.
The easy berry topping cuts through the sweetness of the rice pudding.
Use any vegan milk you like: soy, almond, cashew, hazelnut...
You only need a few simple ingredients to make vegan rice pudding!
- Vegan Butter - any dairy free butter or margarine will work.
- Rice - use short-grained sticky rice, such as pudding rice, risotto rice, arborio rice, or paella rice.
- Milk - use a dairy free vegan milk such as soy, almond milk or other non-dairy milk.
- Sugar - use superfine or caster sugar. You can also substitute stevia (use the ratio on your package for substitution guidance) or coconut sugar.
- Vanilla extract - to add sweetness and flavor.
For the berry sauce (optional)
- Frozen mixed berries - or fresh
- Superfine/caster sugar
- Ground ginger
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
How to make Berry Sauce
Berry compote really is as easy as heating berries in a pan on the hob until it's thick and bubbling.
You can add sugar to offset the sharpness of the berries, or else try it with maple syrup or coconut sugar.
I love the heady aromas of cinnamon, ginger and cloves, but feel free to leave them out of use your favourite sweet spices.
More Vegan Desserts
If you love this vegan rice pudding recipe (and I hope you do!), then be sure to check out these other dairy-free and eggless vegan desserts.
GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Download the free
15-Minute Dinners e-book, full of quick, easy and tasty vegan recipes! You’ll also be added to our mailing list to get new recipes via email.
Also, pop down to the comment and let me know how you got on with the recipe. It’s always great to hear from my readers. Your support allows me write this food blog and bring you vegetable cake recipes as well as vegan desserts, plus savory vegetarian and vegan recipes and breakfasts and drinks.
Vegan Rice Pudding
For the vegan rice pudding
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 100 g (½ cup) pudding rice
- 600 ml (2 ½ cups) almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the winter-spiced berry compote
- 200 g (1 ¼ cups) frozen mixed berries
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- Mixed seeds optional
For the winter-spiced berry compote:
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan over a medium/low heat and stir well. Allow to bubble and cook for 15-20 minutes until thick, stirring often. Taste and add more sugar if desired.
For the vegan rice pudding:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/325°F. Rub the vegan butter around the base and sides of a medium-sized ovenproof casserole dish.
- Wash the rice in a sieve under cold running water and drain well.
- Add the rice and all other rice pudding ingredients to the casserole dish and mix well. Put into the oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Stir well before serving and top with the berry compote.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.