Fluffy, tasty, Almond Milk Pancakes from scratch with Chocolate Chips and Maple Caramelised Bananas! The dairy free recipe is easy and delicious. Contains egg, but easily vegan.
Almond Milk Pancakes are the perfect dairy free breakfast.
You can make them plain, but I love adding dairy-free chocolate chips. 'Cos, chocolate is awesome. Feel free to leave it out though!
For even more WOW factor, top the the pancakes with quick maple caramelised bananas (pan fried) and you have a super special dairy free breakfast! Ready in minutes and so tasty.
Almond milk is perfect for making pancakes. It's creamy and tasty. You can use plain unsweetened, vanilla, chocolate or any other flavor.
Want to do more with your homemade almond milk pancakes? Add them to this epic Pancake Board - a breakfast charcuterie platter.
Why you'll love this recipe
Almond Milk Pancakes perfect for breakfast or brunch.
They're quick and easy breakfast pancakes.
Super fluffy dairy free pancakes.
A simple from-scratch homemade recipe so you don't need to use store-bought pancake mix.
You can mix up the flavor with different varieties of almond milk.
The caremelised banana topping takes 5 minutes, but tastes out-of-this-world.
This homemade pancake recipe with almond milk is full of simple pantry ingredients.
Vegetarian, but easily vegan.
Almond Milk - I use unsweetened, but you can use sweetened varieties or flavored. If using a sweetened one, don't add any sugar to the batter.
Lemon juice - or white vinegar. This is to turn the almond milk into 'buttermilk'.
Flour - all-purpose / plain flour to give the pancakes structure.
Sugar - this is optional but is just to add a little sweetness to the pancakes. If using a sweetened almond milk then you can leave it out.
Baking powder and baking soda - this will make these really fluffy almond milk pancakes.
Eggs - Eggs will help make these dairy-free pancakes light. If you're looking for vegan almond milk pancakes, then head over to my vegan pancakes recipe or swap the eggs for flax eggs.
Oil - use canola, vegetable or olive oil. Any neutral-tasting oil will do.
Dairy free chocolate chips - optional, but super tasty! If you can't find dairy-free chocolate chips, just chop up a larger bar of df chocolate.
For the caramelised bananas
You don't need to add the caramelised banana topping, but if you want to, you won't regret it! You'll be rewarded for 5 minutes of minimal effort.
Banana - go for one that's ripe but not super soft or it will break up a little in the pan.
Maple syrup - or go for honey or agave. You could also use sugar or brown sugar instead.
Oil - canola or vegetable oil
How to make Almond Milk Pancakes
This is sooo easy.
Just add the almond milk and lemon juice to a jug or bowl and give it a good stir. Set it aside for a few minutes. It will thicken and curdle slightly into a 'buttermilk'.
Whisk all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Crack the eggs into the jug of buttermilk and pour in the oil. Whisk well, then pour it into the dry ingredients.
Stir to combine. Don't overmix or the pancakes won't be so fluffy. It's fine to have some lumps.
Then you just need to fry the pancakes!
Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full ingredients list and method to make the BEST Almond Milk Pancakes.
Tips & Tricks
Don't overmix the batter. Lumps are fine. If you mix too much they won't be so fluffy.
To get an even browning of the pancakes (if you care about such things!) I brush an electric skillet with oil. It also works brushing a regular frying pan with oil. Brushing instead of pouring in the oil means there aren't pools of oil under the batter so you get even results.
If you use sweetened almond milk, then you can leave out the sugar in the batter.
I've served these pancakes with chocolate chips and caramelised bananas. Try these other variations instead!
Add a handful of blueberries instead of chocolate chips.
Add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon to the batter for a warming flavor.
Use vanilla almond milk and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract for a yummy vanilla flavor.
Add 2 tablespoons dairy free cocoa powder to the batter.
I've served mine topped with chocolate chips or caramelised bananas. There are loads of ways you can serve them though!
Drizzle with maple syrup.
Enjoy them the British way with sugar and lemon juice.
Slather will a little dairy free chocolate hazelnut spread and some dairy free whipped cream.
Breakfast pancake recipes
If you love these almond milk pancakes, then be sure to check out these other tasty pancake recipes!
Swap out the butter and milk for vegan versions to make them dairy free pancake recipes.
Be sure to also check out my epic list of the 25 Best Vegan Pancake Recipes.
For more inspiration I have a huge list of creative Pancake Ideas.
Get the recipe
Check out the Veggie Desserts + Cakes cookbook on Amazon
Almond Milk Pancakes
For the almond milk pancakes
- 2 cups (480g) almond milk plain or flavored
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons sugar leave out if using sweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil olive, vegetable etc, plus more for frying
- ⅓ cup (50g) dairy free chocolate chips optional
For the caramelised bananas (optional)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- For the almond milk pancakes
- In a small bowl or jug, stir the lemon juice into the almond milk and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken slightly into ‘buttermilk’.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Whisk the eggs and oil slightly into the ‘buttermilk’, then pour it into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined. Note: Don’t overmix or the almond milk pancakes won’t be so fluffy. It’s okay to have some lumps.
- Brush a frying pan with oil and heat over a medium heat. Add ⅓ cup/80ml of batter and cook until bubbles form and the underside is golden. Flip and cook for a few minutes until golden. Repeat until the batter is used up.
- For the caramelised bananas
- Peel the bananas and cut into slices.
- Heat the syrup and oil in a frying pan until hot and bubbling.
- Add the banana slices and cook until lightly browned, turn and cook on the other side.
- Serve warm, piled onto the almond milk pancakes.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.