You'll love these homemade fluffy Blackberry Pancakes! They're full of summer flavor from the juicy berries and you can use fresh or frozen in this super easy 15-minute recipe.
You'll love the taste of these easy Blackberry Pancakes made from scratch! They're light and super-fluffy, with bursts of flavor from the blackberries.
I adore the contrast between the light and fluffy pancakes, with their tender inside and slightly crispy exterior, and the pops of color and taste from the blackberries.
It's bliss. Breakfast bliss. What a way to start the day.
Want to serve them in a super special way? Add them to a Pancake Board (breakfast charcuterie platter). Pile them high with fruit and toppings.
This Blackberry Pancake recipe is super easy to whip up with just a few affordable ingredients and minimal prep. Plus, it comes together in under 15 minutes.
They're a quick and easy breakfast and a great way to use up seasonal berries. And let me just say it again: they're SOOOOO FLUFFY!
You can use either fresh or frozen blackberries for this recipe - both work perfectly.
For extra blackberry flavor, top these pancakes with a dollop of 15 minute Blackberry Compote.
They're also incredible with maple and cinnamon Fried Bananas.
Why you'll love this recipe
Really light and fluffy.
Ready in just 15 minutes.
A great way to use up seasonal blackberries.
Delicious flavor from the berries in the batter.
A fun twist on the classic blueberry pancakes.
A tasty vegetarian breakfast recipe.
You only need simple pantry ingredients for this recipe, plus blackberries!
Blackberries - use fresh or frozen (don’t thaw first)
Sugar - this is optional, but a little sweetness in the pancakes works well with the sweet/tart berries.
Baking soda (bicarb of soda) - this helps to make these pancakes extra fluffy!
Milk - to make these dairy-free, use vegan milk (and butter)
White vinegar - or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, this also helps to make the pancakes really fluffy but can't be tasted.
You only need a few kitchen utensils to make this recipe. You'll need:
- Mixing bowl
- Microwave or pot to melt butter
- Non-stick skillet / frying pan
- Spatula / flipper
Step by step tutorial
This is a really easy recipe. Follow this step by step photo tutorial for perfect results! Then, scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions and ingredients list for blackberry pancakes.
Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the milk, melted butter, egg, vanilla and white vinegar to a separate bowl or jug and whisk to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.
Gently whisk until combined. The batter will still be lumpy.
Add the blackberries to the batter.
Gently stir to combine but don't break up the berries.
Heat a teaspoon of the butter in a non-stick frying pan or skillet over a medium heat.
Add a ladle (about ¼ cup) of batter. When the centre begins to bubble, gently flip the pancake.
Cook until both sides are golden. Repeat until the batter is all used.
The baking soda, baking powder and vinegar all work together to make these really light and fluffy pancakes. Don't worry, they don't taste vinegary.
If using frozen blackberries, don't thaw them first.
When mixing in the blackberries, do it gently so the berries don't break up int the batter.
You'll know the pancakes are ready to flip when small bubbles appear in the centre.
Keep pancakes warm while you make more by placing them into a low oven.
How do you like your blackberry pancakes? Try them with these toppings:
- Maple syrup - it's a classic!
- Go British with a sprinkle of granulated sugar and a drizzle of lemon juice.
- Try a dollop of Blackberry Compote - ready in just 15 mins with 3 ingredients.
- Add a spoonful of Nutella Dip.
- Make it super fruity with a topping of Stewed Plums or Stewed Pears.
- Drizzle with yogurt and fresh berries.
If you love these pancakes, you'll be sure to love these other blackberry recipes too!
I have a huge blackberry bush at the bottom of my garden. This year, it has produced loads of big, fat, juicy berries - so expect more blackberry recipes to come!
I'm Canadian, so as my birthright I'm obsessed with pancakes. Hey, we need some sort of vehicle for all that tasty maple syrup.
Try these awesome recipes!
Courgette Pancakes (zucchini)
Orange Chia Pancakes
Buckwheat Blueberry Beet Pancakes
Almond Milk Pancakes
25 Best Vegan Pancake Recipes
30 Breakfast Pancake Recipes
Get the recipe
Check out the Veggie Desserts + Cakes cookbook on Amazon
- 1 cup (150g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda bicarb of soda
- ¾ cup (190ml) milk
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (150g / ½ pint) blackberries fresh or frozen (if frozen, don’t thaw first)
- 2 tablespoon butter divided, for frying
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk, melted butter, egg, vanilla and white vinegar to a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently whisk until just combined (the batter will still be lumpy, but you won’t see streaks of flour).
- Gently mix in the blackberries.
- Heat a teaspoon of the butter in a non-stick frying pan or skillet over a medium heat. Add a ladle (about ¼ cup) of batter. When the centre begins to bubble, turn it over and cook until both sides are golden. Repeat until the batter is all used.
- Pancakes can be kept warm in a low oven. Delicious drizzled with maple syrup.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.