Zucchini pancakes (aka courgette pancakes) with chocolate - These light and fluffy pancakes taste like zucchini bread! An easy, tasty breakfast. Served with maple yogurt topping.
Have I brought you enough courgette (zucchini) recipes lately?
I've been using them almost daily lately, while my farm shop is piled high with the seasonal squash.
I grate it into pasta sauce, whiz it into zoodles and roast it with other veggies.
For these zucchini pancakes, I've shredded courgette (aka zucchini) into them, alongside great big chunks of dark chocolate.
You can't taste the courgette/zucchini, but it leaves pretty flecks of green and gets you a bit of extra green goodness.
For the topping, I've made a maple yogurt to add that lovely sweet/sourness to offset the sweetness of the chocolate.
Oh, and you do know, don't you, that the addition of a vegetable completely counteracts any naughtiness in the chocolate? Definitely.
This recipe was originally posted on 17 February 2015. Updated with new photos, text and recipe card on 30 August 2019.
Pancake day, you beautiful ode to carb-laden breakfast. How have you not crossed the pond to North America yet?
In the UK, every year they merrily celebrate this holiday (Shrove Tuesday), unquestioningly.
Most aren't really sure why, something or other to do with using up what's in the house before lent.
But nevertheless, we consume pancakes on this day.
Buckwheat? Scotch? Crepes or fluffy American-style? Whatever your pleasure, today is all about the pancake. Courgette pancakes.
You'll also love these other tasty breakfast recipes
Be sure to check out my epic list of creative Pancake Recipes!
There are so many great ways to use up courgettes. It's such a mild vegetable that it's really versatile in both sweet and savoury dishes. I love it raw, cooked, steamed, sauteed. And of course, in vegetable dessert recipes!
Take a look at my list of 26 Tasty Courgette Recipes.
Get the Recipe
Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil plus extra for cooking
- 100 g (1 cup) raw zucchini/courgette, grated
- 50 g (⅓ cup) dark chocolate, chopped
- 150 g (1 cup) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
For the Maple Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Whisk the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg and oil together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the grated courgette (zucchini), chocolate, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg and oil together. Pour into the flour bowl, along with the grated zucchini and chopped chocolate and mix until combined.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in scoops of batter. When the batter begins to bubble, flip and cook the other side until golden. Repeat until the batter is finished. Top with the maple yogurt.
For the Maple Yogurt
- Mix the ingredients together until combined. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the maple yogurt and a little grated courgette and shaving of chocolate.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.