Spiced Pumpkin Scones are fluffy and easy to make. Pumpkin puree and warming spices give them the taste of a pumpkin spice latte! You can also use butternut squash and make your own puree easily.
These pumpkin scones are delicately spiced. They're moist, tender and perfect with cream and jam.
They're super quick and easy to make and are a great snack, dessert or for afternoon tea.
These scones keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
They are absolutely delicious with apricot, rhubarb and ginger, plum or any flavour of jam.
For this pumpkin scone recipe, you can use store-bought canned pumpkin puree, or make your own.
To make your own pumpkin puree, simply peel, cube and steam or roast pumpkin or butternut squash. Allow it to cool and then puree with a handheld stick blender or food processor until smooth.
Voila - pumpkin puree! If it seems a bit 'wet', then just put it into a pan and heat for a few minutes to evaporate the water.
My husband is from Devon, England and is very particular about how he likes his scones!
But even he loves these delicately spiced, moist pumpkin scones - just as long as I don't get into a discussion with him about which to put on first: the jam or the cream.
In England, a cream tea just means a treat snack of tea and scones with clotted cream (a thick cream) and jam. It's popular in many regions, particularly in the South West of England.
pumpkin dessert recipes
Looking for more pumpkin desserts? Try these! Pumpkin is delicious with chocolate, spices and other flavors. So here are my favorite pumpkin cake and dessert recipes. It's great in more than just pumpkin pie!
Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts with chocolate glaze
Pumpkin Tarts with chai hazelnut crust
Gingerbread Pumpkin Cupcakes
Vegan Pumpkin Cake with Ginger Frosting (1-bowl, easy)
Iced Pumpkin Cookies
Pumpkin Crisp with Gingerbread Topping
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream Icing
get the spiced pumpkin scones recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Spiced Pumpkin Scones
- 6 tbsp pumpkin puree (canned or see below to make your own from squash)
- 2 ¼ cups (275g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅓ cup (80g) cold butter cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp milk plus extra for brushing
- 1 large free-range egg
- Preheat oven to 425F / 220C. Lightly butter a large baking tray.
To make your own pumpkin/squash puree:
- Peel, deseed and cube the pumpkin or butternut squash. Roast in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until soft. Puree with a hand blender or food processor until smooth. Any extra puree can be frozen.
For the Pumpkin Scones:
- Sift the flour, sugar and spices into a bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter and flour mixture together until the mixture has the consistency of coarse breadcrumbs.
- In another bowl, lightly mix together the pumpkin, milk and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine. Form a ball with the dough, adding a little more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- On a lightly floured worktop, form the dough into a circle approximately ½ inch thick. Cut out scones with a cutter or the edge of a glass dipped in milk. Place on the baking tray and brush with a little milk.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack and serve with cream, jam and a cup of tea.