This tasty Cabbage Salad has a wonderfully crispy fresh texture and won't go soggy. It's perfect for making ahead, meal prep, picnics and barbecues, as well as an easy healthy side dish. This slaw is ready in 10 minutes and it lasts in the fridge for days! Vegan, vegetarian and gluten free.
You're going to LOVE this cabbage salad. Trust me. Even if you're not a huge fan of cabbage (remember those days when it was boiled to within an inch of it's life? YUCK!). But raw cabbage with a light vinegar dressing is an absolute joy.
I love how this cabbage salad stays crunchy. It adds an incredible texture to a plate, with loads of flavours from all the raw veggies and the simple vinaigrette dressing.
You can make this salad ahead of time, and just keep it in the fridge. It will last for days without going soggy. We like to make a batch at the weekend and then have it as a side dish with loads of meals throughout the week.
Coleslaw can be a rather heavy affair, with all the mayonnaise. For this version, I've made a mustard vinaigrette dressing that lets the veggies shine. This slaw should appeal to children who don't like leaf salads (I usually call this one rainbow salad).
The crunchy texture, sweet apples and light dressing make this a family-friendly winner that everyone will love.
No Mayo Cabbage Salad
Many coleslaws and cabbage salad recipes are covered in creamy mayonnaise. They can taste good, but are very heavy and high in calories. This lighter version is healthier and the no-mayo cabbage salad gets flavor from a vinegar based dressing.
For this slaw, you will need:
Purple cabbage (aka red cabbage)
Apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
Scalions (spring onions)
Looking for other salad recipes? Try these 28 Tasty Healthy Salad Recipes
Tips and Tricks for this Cabbage Salad Recipe
- You can slice the cabbage with a knife, mandoline or food processor.
- Carrots can be grated, shredded in a food processor or spiralised.
- Use both red (purple) and white cabbage, or just one variety.
- Use any apple variety that you like.
- Feel free to make this cabbage salad ahead of time. It will store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Did you make this cabbage salad recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
Get the Cabbage Salad recipe
- 1 apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups white cabbage
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 2 carrots
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To serve (optional):
- 2 scallions (spring onions)
- Chopped parsley
- Mixed seeds
- Place the slices of apple into a bowl of cold water with the lemon juice, and leave them there until ready to use to prevent browning.
- Very thinly slice the cabbages or use the slicer on a food processor.
- Grate the carrots, or use the grating plate on a food processor.
- Take the apple slices out of the lemon water and pat dry with a tea towel. Add them along with the cabbage and carrot to a large serving bowl and gently toss.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together well then pour over the veggies and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the spring onions, parsley and seeds, if using.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.