This recipe for easy (zucchini) courgette fritters makes them wonderfully crispy on the outside with soft delicate courgette inside. The cheese adds a hit of flavour and melts in the middle. They're wonderful as a side dish, snack, dinner or even breakfast!
These easy courgette fritters crispy on the outside with soft, fragrant courgette inside.
The cheese adds a hit of flavour and melts in the middle.
Enjoy them warm as a lunch or side dish, or make ahead for picnics and party food.
At this time of year, we can be overrun by homegrown courgettes (zucchini).
I'm not one for growing them myself as I tend instead to slowly kill everything I plant, but you might have a courgette glut you're looking to use up!
They're also very plentiful in supermarkets and greengrocers, so these fritters are a recipe that I tend to cook pretty much year round.
My kids love cheese, so these cheesy courgette fritters are a hit at my house. Plus the little ones love to help make them.
How to serve courgette fritters
They're great as a side dish, snack, lunch or party food. Some ways to serve courgette fritters are:
- Topped with sour cream and chives.
- With sweet chilli sauce to dip.
- To accompany vegetarian chilli
- Alongside a broccoli salad (you'll hit your five a day!).
- For breakfast with a poached egg.
- As a side to kale soup for a veg-packed dinner or lunch.
- Followed by my incredibly popular Courgette Cake - to use up all those courgettes!
Try your zucchini fritters with these tasty dips and sauces.
Step by Step Tutorial
It's really easy to make courgette fritters. It only takes a few minutes to grate the courgette by hand with a box grater, but it's super-quick with a food processor.
I do it by hand though so there's less washing up!
Mix it all up and fry big dollops. It's so simple.
1: You just need to grate your raw, unpeeled courgette. Then gently squeeze out a bit of the excess moisture in a clean tea towel.
2: Mix the egg and grated cheese into the grated courgette.
3: Stir in the flour and salt.
4: Heat the oil in a pan and fry large spoonfuls until golden, then flip.
You don't have to squeeze out all of the moisture, just give it a few good squeezes to get the bulk of it out.
Some recipes call for salting the courgette to reduce the moisture, but I find squeezing works better (and it's faster)
Grate the raw unpeeled courgette with a box grater or food processor
Add herbs: a little basil or mint work well
Add spices: try a pinch of cumin or smoked paprika
Make them spicy by adding a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes or a little glug of hot sauce to the batter
Swap the cheddar cheese for parmesan or feta
Add a few tablespoons of corn kernels for more texture
Freezing Courgette Fritters
- Zucchini fritters are best eaten on the same day, but you can freeze courgette fritters after they've cooked and cooled.
- To cook from frozen, bake in the oven or refry to crisp them up again.
- Make vegan courgette fritters: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tablespoon water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tablespoon of nutritional yeast)
- Make them gluten-free by using gluten free flour
More Courgette Recipes
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
Check out the Veggie Desserts + Cakes cookbook on Amazon
Cheesy Courgette Fritters
- 9 oz (250g) zucchini / courgette approximately 1 zucchini
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (50g) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup (100g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
To serve (optional):
- Sour cream and chopped chives
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Coarsely grate the raw unpeeled courgette, then gently squeeze out some of the moisture in a clean tea towel.
- Add the grated courgette, eggs and cheese to a large bowl, then mix well.
- Add the flour and salt and gently combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then drop in heaped tablespoonfuls of the mixture. Cook for a few minutes until golden, turn and cook the other side. Repeat to use up the remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.
- Serve warm with sour cream and chives and/or sweet chilli sauce.
- Make it vegan: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tablespoon water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tablespoon of nutritional yeast)
- Make it gluten-free: use gluten free flour
- Freezable: freeze the cooked courgette fritters and reheat in a frying pan or oven
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Spotted your recipe and decided to have a go at making these this very morning, (16.Apr.2021).
They are so easy to make, cook, and of course ... eat !!!
I added some crushed black pepper and a little dill, but will be trying out other additions as I've made enough to freeze for a later date.
I also used a Mature Cheddar for more flavour.
My Wife enjoys them too.
Great recipe ... thank you.
Great recipe. I made a few changes. I added basil as you suggested, did a mix of cheddar and Parmesan. To make it gluten free I used fine maize flour (fine polenta) and added a little bicarb. I ate them with red pepper hummus. They were totally delicious and a great texture. I’m adding these to my bank of really great recipes. Making them again, with one of you suggested accompaniments, as soon as more of my courgettes ripen this week. Thank you.
Just made these, added some fresh coriander, wild garlic and fresh red chilli pepper, really good and so easy to make. Will definitely make again
So easy to make! I made them again just now, just for the heck of it! They are really good to freeze after cooking, then crisp up in a frying pan for a fancy eggs benedict breakfast.
Omg these look so yummy! ill have to try them! Thanks for the recipe!
These look very yummy! Will definitely have to give them a go as I love courgettes.
I always wondered what zucchini was, thanks for clearing that up. These look delicious, I love courgettes
Yum! These look really delicious, and I bet they'd be fab for a weekend brunch dish!
This is a nice alternative to chips for something lighter and healthier.
Super Busy Mum
I have never tasted courgette before - which is shocking, I know! But this does look tasty! I might have to give it a try!
Adriana Lopez Martin
You know I have never made courgette fritters but yoru recipe looks amazing and then cheesy yummy. My family would levo to try this. Getting inspired to cook this recipe this week.
These look so delicious! Perfect way to use up the garden zucchini!
SO easy to prepare and great way to use left over zucchini
These sound perfect and I love how easy they look to prepare. And I always have zucchini in the fridge so can't wait to try these!
I love this time of year! Hooray for zucchinis and all of the amazing recipes to use them in! These fritters look perfect!
These sound delicious and super easy to make. I like the idea of adding a bit of curry powder and serving with mint yoghurt!
Oooh, these look fab! I wonder if my children would eat them 🙂
Adding cheese to courgettes makes them sound extra appealing x
I'd never thought about using courgettes like this, these sound great!