This recipe for easy (zucchini) courgette fritters makes them wonderfully crispy on the outside with soft delicate courgette inside. The cheese adds a hit of flavour and melts in the middle. They're wonderful as a side dish, snack, dinner or even breakfast!
These easy courgette fritters crispy on the outside with soft, fragrant courgette inside.
The cheese adds a hit of flavour and melts in the middle.
Enjoy them warm as a lunch or side dish, or make ahead for picnics and party food.
At this time of year, we can be overrun by homegrown courgettes (zucchini).
I'm not one for growing them myself as I tend instead to slowly kill everything I plant, but you might have a courgette glut you're looking to use up!
They're also very plentiful in supermarkets and greengrocers, so these fritters are a recipe that I tend to cook pretty much year round.
My kids love cheese, so these cheesy courgette fritters are a hit at my house. Plus the little ones love to help make them.
How to serve zucchini fritters
They're great as a side dish, snack, lunch or party food. Some ways to serve courgette fritters are:
- Topped with sour cream and chives
- With sweet chilli sauce to dip
- To accompany vegetarian chilli
- Alongside a broccoli salad (you'll hit your five a day!)
- For breakfast with a poached egg
- As a side to kale soup for a veg-packed dinner or lunch
- Followed by my incredibly popular Courgette Cake - to use up all those courgettes!
How to make courgette fritters
It's really easy to make courgette fritters. It only takes a few minutes to grate the courgette by hand with a box grater, but it's super-quick with a food processor.
I do it by hand though so there's less washing up!
Mix it all up and fry big dollops. It's so simple.
1: You just need to grate your raw, unpeeled courgette. Then gently squeeze out a bit of the excess moisture in a clean tea towel.
2: Mix the egg and grated cheese into the grated courgette.
3: Stir in the flour and salt.
4: Heat the oil in a pan and fry large spoonfuls until golden, then flip.
Courgette Fritters Tips
- You don't have to squeeze out all of the moisture, just give it a few good squeezes to get the bulk of it out.
- Some recipes call for salting the courgette to reduce the moisture, but I find squeezing works better (and it's faster)
- Grate the raw unpeeled courgette with a box grater or food processor
- Add herbs: a little basil or mint work well
- Add spices: try a pinch of cumin or smoked paprika
- Make them spicy by adding a tsp of dried chilli flakes or a little glug of hot sauce to the batter
- Swap the cheddar cheese for parmesan or feta
- Add a few tablespoons of corn kernels for more texture
Freezing Courgette Fritters
- Zucchini fritters are best eaten on the same day, but you can freeze courgette fritters after they've cooked and cooled.
- To cook from frozen, bake in the oven or refry to crisp them up again.
- Make vegan courgette fritters: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- Make them gluten-free by using gluten free flour
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on social media with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.Follow me on Instagram > Twitter > Facebook > Pinterest > Youtube
Get the courgette fritters recipe
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes and also easy vegan desserts.
Cheesy Courgette Fritters
- 250 g - 9oz - courgette (zucchini) approximately 1 courgette
- 2 large eggs
- 50 g - ½ cup - grated cheddar cheese
- 100 g - ¾ cup - plain flour (all purpose flour)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
To serve (optional):
- Sour cream and chopped chives
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Coarsely grate the raw unpeeled courgette, then gently squeeze out some of the moisture in a clean tea towel.
- Add the grated courgette, eggs and cheese to a large bowl, then mix well.
- Add the flour and salt and gently combine.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then drop in heaped tablespoonfuls of the mixture. Cook for a few minutes until golden, turn and cook the other side. Repeat to use up the remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.
- Serve warm with sour cream and chives and/or sweet chilli sauce.
- Make it vegan: use a flax egg (for each egg, stir 1tbsp ground flax into 3 tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes to become gelatinous) and vegan cheese (or a tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- Make it gluten-free: use gluten free flour
- Freezable: freeze the cooked courgette fritters and reheat in a frying pan or oven