These soft Iced Pumpkin Cookies are easy to make and absolutely delicious! The soft cake-like pumpkin cookies have warming spices and are drizzled in a tasty vanilla icing. A great fall dessert or for Christmas or Thanksgiving. Decorate them with candy eyes for Halloween.
These soft spiced pumpkin cookies are absolutely delicious!
Not crumbly or crunchy, they're instead beautifully moist and soft. Even slightly cake-like.
You can make them with canned pumpkin or use up a carving pumpkin (or squash) to make the puree.
I love iced cookies, so this one has a lovely fragrant vanilla icing drizzled over them.
This recipe was originally published on 7 November 2019. Republished 1 September 2020 with extra images and updated text.
I love making these for Christmas, Thanksgiving or Halloween!
To make them into Halloween Mummy Cookies, all you have to do is add candy eyes. BOO! Perfect for Halloween.
Why you'll love this recipe
Why is this my ultimate Pumpkin Cookie Recipe? That's easy! They're:
Perfect for fall
Uses canned or fresh pumpkin
And hey, they're a vegetable dessert. That pumpkin not only adds some extra goodness, but it makes them moist, soft and orange coloured. Perfect with pumpkin pie spices.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
I absolutely adore pumpkin spices.
This mix of cinnamon, ginger and other warming spices is just utterly delicious and screams 'It's fall!'
The spices in this cookie recipe smell absolutely divine as they permeate the air while they cook.
Mix in some pumpkin puree and this recipe is the ultimate pumpkin recipe!
And they are sooooo soft. Like perfect soft bakery cookies. You'll love them, I'm sure.
You only need simple ingredients for these soft, tender and delicious iced pumpkin cookies.
Pumpkin - use canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, just the plain one) or puree cooked pumpkin flesh to make your own pumpkin puree.
Sugar - I just use granulated white sugar, but brown works too.
Egg - I use medium free range eggs.
Butter - or margarine.
Cream - heavy cream or double cream
All-purpose flour - aka plain flour
Spices - ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, allspice
Powdered icing sugar - for the vanilla drizzle.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes after making these iced pumpkin cookies? Try these!
Check out my roundup of the Best Vegetarian Pumpkin Recipes.
Pumpkin mincemeat (fruity filling for mince pies)
Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Bakery Style Cookies
Do you love bakery style cookies as much as I do? They're thick, soft and almost cake-like. Bakeries do them so well, but now you can too with this easy recipe!
There are lots of bakery bakes that I wouldn't attempt to make at home, but this one is so easy.
It's sure to be your go-to iced pumpkin cookie recipe!
Step by step tutorial
This is a simple recipe! Just follow these step by step pictures and you'll have perfect, soft, iced pumpkin cookies.
Preheat the oven to 175C / 350° F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
Beat the sugar and butter until blended, then add the pumpkin, egg, cream and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and soda and stir gently to combine.
Spoon tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets and spread out slightly with the back of the spoon. Leave space between these cookies as they rise, spread and puff up.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges firm up and begin to turn golden. Allow to cool on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Get the Recipe
Iced Pumpkin Cookies
- 3/4 cups (170g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (55g) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (140g) canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoon heavy cream(double cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ⅔ cups (200g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Vanilla Icing
- ½ cup (100g) powdered icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (double cream)
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (175C). Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter until blended, then add the pumpkin, egg, cream and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and soda and stir gently to combine.
- Spoon tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets and spread out slightly with the back of the spoon. Leave space between these cookies as they rise, spread and puff up.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges firm up and begin to turn golden. Allow to cool on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by mixing all ingredients together. If necessary to get a thick drizzling consistency, add a little more water or icing sugar.
- Drizzle over the cooled cookies.