This Mexican Quinoa Salad is healthy and bursting with great flavor. The hearty and healthy dish combines quinoa, peppers, corn, tomatoes, and Mexican spices, topped with avocado and lime. A great vegan main course, or healthy side dish.
Ready to tantalize your taste buds? Try this delicious Mexican Quinoa Salad recipe!
This hearty and healthy dish combines quinoa, peppers, tomatoes, corn and onions in a flavorful mixture of Mexican spices.
Perfect as a side dish or light meal, it's an easy and nutritious way to experience the flavors of Mexico.
We love that this salad is rich and filling without being heavy, you're sure to love this tasty and filling dinner option!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This Mexican Quinoa Salad is full of nutritious ingredients like quinoa, peppers, tomatoes, and onions.
- Perfect for a meal on its own or as a side dish.
- A flavorful and delicious way to enjoy the flavors of Mexico.
- Quick and easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time.
- A balanced meal with protein, fiber, and healthy fats in one dish.
- Rich and filling without being heavy.
- A great way to get more vegetables into your diet.
- It's vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free.
- Quinoa - Quinoa is a gluten-free, high-protein grain native to South America.
- Bell Pepper - I use red, but you can use yellow, orange or green if you prefer.
- Corn - Use fresh corn off the cob, frozen (thawed) or canned (drained).
- Onion - I prefer red onion in this dish, but you can substitute yellow onion or shallots.
- Tomatoes - fresh tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.
- Vegetable broth - to flavor the quinoa as it cooks.
- Oil - To sautee the onion and peppers. Use olive oil, canola or your favorite cooking oil.
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Cayenne, Cumin, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper - To add Mexican flavors to the salad. You can substitute for 1 ½ teaspoons of Cajun Spice, Taco Seasoning, or Mexican Spice blend.
- To serve: Avocado, Limes, Cilantro or Parsley.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Follow this step-by-step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Dice the onion and bell pepper. Chop the tomatoes.
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent, but not browned.
Add the uncooked quinoa, diced bell pepper, corn, and chopped tomatoes to the pan, then stir in the salt, pepper and spices. Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
Stir in the vegetable broth, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with the lid, and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked and soft. If the liquid boils away then add a little more.
Serve warm or cold topped with slices of avocado, fresh cilantro or parsley, and lime wedges.
- Make it faster with premixed Mexican spices, like Taco Seasoning, Fajita Seasoning, or Mexican Spice Blend.
- Add in a drained can of black beans or kidney beans for more hearty protein.
- Swap the garlic powder for 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped and cooked for 1 minute with the onions when they're cooked.
- Serve it topped with some salsa or if you like it hot, then some homemade Xnipec - Habanero Salsa.
Mexican Quinoa Salad is great served hot or cold on its own as a vegan main dish, or as a side dish. But there are also other ways you can enjoy it!
- Serve in a Tortilla Bowl.
- Enjoy in a taco along with some Refried Beans.
- Serve topped with Crock Pot Black Beans.
- Use as a filling for stuffed peppers.
Store: Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 4 days. Don't add the avocado until you're ready to serve.
You can make the Mexican quinoa ahead of time, but don't add the avocado until you're ready to serve it, otherwise it will go mushy and brown.
Quinoa on its own doesn't have a lot of flavor. But it's a perfect vehicle for your favorite spices and add-ins. This Mexican quinoa salad is full of bold Mexican spices and vegetables like corn and bell peppers, to make it pack a flavor punch.
Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Plus, you'll get a free eBook: 15 Minute Vegan Dinners!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you love this recipe, please leave a five-star rating and review in the comments below! And if you make any modifications, let us know how it went so that we can all benefit from your experience. Happy cooking!
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ⅔ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and diced
- ½ cup corn
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or more to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 avocado sliced
- Lime wedges
- Dice the onion and bell pepper. Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a pot over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent, but not browned.
- Add the uncooked quinoa, diced bell pepper, corn, and chopped tomatoes to the pan, then stir in the salt, pepper and spices. Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with the lid, and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked and soft. If the liquid boils away then add a little more.
- Serve warm or cold topped with slices of avocado, fresh cilantro or parsley, and lime wedges.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.