Orange and Carrot Cupcakes are a completely different take on carrot cake. Instead of heavy wintery spices, I've flavoured the carrot sponge with vibrant orange. They're fluffy, delicate and full of flavour.
Carrot cakes tend to be spicy and autumnal with cinnamon and nuts, but I'm desperate to see the first glimpse of spring so I've made these carrot cupcakes light and bright with a citrus tang.
They taste like orange cupcakes, but with all the goodness from the carrot.
Carrots are probably the least curious of the vegetables to go into desserts so these cupcakes won't surprise anyone quite as much as pea and lemon cupcakes or spinach pastry, but they will surely be pleased with the moist texture and unusual, refreshing take on carrot cake.
Grating the carrot finely will ensure that lovely bright colour and smoother texture of the cake.
Get the recipe for Orange and Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Icing
Did you make this recipe?
Carrot and Orange Cupcakes with Orange Icing
For the cupcakes:
- 2 carrots (medium-sized, raw)
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons orange zest
- 200 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the icing:
- 75 g unsalted butter , softened
- 250 g powdered icing sugar (confectioner's)
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F. Line or grease a muffin tray.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the carrot, vanilla and orange zest.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to gently combine.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with the icing when cold.
For the icing:
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar and beat until thick. Add enough of the orange juice to make it a frosting consistency.