These easy bread shapes are a fun way for kids to get creative in the kitchen. We made ours into fun bug shapes, but you could make them into any shapes!
Easy Bread Recipe for Kids
Baking with kids can often end up being cakes and cupcakes, but I love enlisting the help of my children to make bread rolls.
I make up the dough, then let them use it like playdough and roll it into shapes before baking it.
It's an easy bread recipe for kids.
You can make any shapes you like, so it's a great non-sweet treat at parties.
It's just a simple and easy bread dough recipe.
You could roll them into nearly anything!
What shapes will you choose?
We love to make them into snails, snakes and spiders for Halloween!
Bread Recipes for Kids
This bread recipe is really really easy and it can stand up to being rather manhandled by little ones as they roll the simple dough into shapes.
It's nearly Halloween, so we made our bread shapes into spiders, snails and snakes.
They’re great alongside dinner or dipped into hummus (try my pea hummus) - or even a red dip for scary blood!
You can also cut the larger ones open and make sandwiches for eerie lunches.
There are so many possibilities and I'm sure the kids (and adults) will come up with lots of bread creatures to make themselves.
Baking with kids
If you're looking for more fun kids recipes, try my pumpkin cupcakes (which use the stringy 'guts' of a carving pumpkin) or my spooky naturally green witch finger cookies - they have a hidden veg in them!
If you're looking for another savoury Halloween recipe, then try this spooky avocado dip from Fork&Beans blog.
If you're looking for more bread recipes, try these! I love making homemade bread and trying lots of different varieties, methods and additions.
Get the Bread Shapes Recipe
If you make these easy bread shapes recipe, please tag it with #veggiedesserts on Instagram or other social media. I LOVE seeing your recreations of my recipes. I work hard to bring you creative vegetable cake recipes, as well as vegetarian and vegan recipes and vegan desserts.
Easy Fun Bread Shapes for Kids
- 2 cups (500g) strong white bread flour or half strong white and wholewheat bread flour
- 2 ¼ tsp (7g / 1 sachet) fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp milk or non dairy milk
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a measuring jug, add 300ml (1 ¼ cups) of warm water, stir in the oil, then pour it into the bowl of flour. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour the work surface, then turn out the dough onto it and knead for about 5 minutes until it’s no longer sticky. You may need to add a little flour, sparingly.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it into a lightly oiled bowl (rub a tiny bit of vegetable oil or olive oil around a mixing bowl). Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 180C and lightly oil two baking trays. Use the dough like playdough to shape into animal shapes, then place them onto the trays. Spiders, snakes and bugs work well! Brush them with a little milk.
- Place the trays in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes. The time will depend on the size of the bread creatures, so check them and cook for longer if necessary until they’re golden.