These easy bread shapes are a fun way for kids to get creative in the kitchen. We made ours into fun bug shapes, but you could make them into any shapes!
Easy Bread Recipe for Kids
Baking with kids can often end up being cakes and cupcakes, but I love enlisting the help of my children to make bread rolls.
I make up the dough, then let them use it like playdough and roll it into shapes before baking it.
It's an easy bread recipe for kids.
You can make any shapes you like, so it's a great non-sweet treat at parties.
It's just a simple and easy bread dough recipe.
You could roll them into nearly anything!
What shapes will you choose?
We love to make them into snails, snakes and spiders for Halloween!
Bread Recipes for Kids
This bread recipe is really really easy and it can stand up to being rather manhandled by little ones as they roll the simple dough into shapes.
It's nearly Halloween, so we made our bread shapes into spiders, snails and snakes.
They’re great alongside dinner or dipped into hummus (try my pea hummus) - or even a red dip for scary blood!
You can also cut the larger ones open and make sandwiches for eerie lunches.
There are so many possibilities and I'm sure the kids (and adults) will come up with lots of bread creatures to make themselves.
Baking with kids
If you're looking for more fun kids recipes, try my pumpkin cupcakes (which use the stringy 'guts' of a carving pumpkin) or my spooky naturally green witch finger cookies - they have a hidden veg in them!
If you're looking for another savoury Halloween recipe, then try this spooky avocado dip from Fork&Beans blog.
For other easy recipes for kids, try these!
Fruit Summer Rolls
Fruity Yogurt Bark
If you're looking for more bread recipes, try these! I love making homemade bread and trying lots of different varieties, methods and additions.
Date and Walnut Bread
Kale and Herb Soda Bread
Easy Italian Braided Easter Bread
Naan Bread Recipe
Cinnamon Carrot Soda Bread
Get the Bread Shapes Recipe
If you make these easy bread shapes recipe, please tag it with #veggiedesserts on Instagram or other social media. I LOVE seeing your recreations of my recipes. I work hard to bring you creative vegetable cake recipes, as well as vegetarian and vegan recipes and vegan desserts.
Easy Fun Bread Shapes for Kids
- 2 cups (275g) strong white bread flour or half strong white and wholewheat bread flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoon (7g / 1 sachet) fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon milk or non dairy milk
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a measuring jug, add 300ml (1 ¼ cups) of warm water, stir in the oil, then pour it into the bowl of flour. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour the work surface, then turn out the dough onto it and knead for about 5 minutes until it’s no longer sticky. You may need to add a little flour, sparingly.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it into a lightly oiled bowl (rub a tiny bit of vegetable oil or olive oil around a mixing bowl). Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 180C and lightly oil two baking trays. Use the dough like playdough to shape into animal shapes, then place them onto the trays. Spiders, snakes and bugs work well! Brush them with a little milk.
- Place the trays in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes. The time will depend on the size of the bread creatures, so check them and cook for longer if necessary until they’re golden.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
Hi, would there be a way to switch the flour to gluten free alternatives please?
Hi, this should work just fine with gluten free flour and baking powder!
We made these over the Christmas holidays wiht the kids. It was a fun rainy day activity to do with the kids! We made candy canes and trees!
Haha awesome, I think I will try this with my niece in December! Looks so much fun! Thanks!
I love how cute these are and you can really get creative with it. I have a heart mould for my bread 🙂
What a cute and creative idea. I know my kids would love to try their hand at this.
This is amazing! My kids would totally love this, so much fun!
These look amazing, the kids would love to make these
I remember doing something like this when I was younger and I thought it was so much fun! Great idea to get children interested in cooking and baking 🙂
Great idea. Ive just been to the Cake and Bake show and bought lots of bread mixes so I'll be getting the kiddies to make fun shapes with the bread. Thanks for sharing
These are so cute. My kids love helping me in the kitchen at this time of year.
I haven't made my own bread since I was in school so I really should give this a go x
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
How creative! Those bloodcurdling creatures are perfect for Halloween!
This is so clever and adorable! My kids would totally be on board with making these cuties!
These are so cute and fun!! Definitely want to have my nephews over to do this with them 🙂
I love this! I always end up making cupcakes or cookies too so think this will be a super fun alternative!
Great idea for kids!! How creative!!!