These Lemon Kale Muffins are zingy and delicious. The flavour of the kale fades away beneath the lemon, but leaves behind its green goodness. A tasty hidden veg recipe!
These Kale Muffins are not only a lovely green colour, but they taste delicious and zingy from the lemon.
The kale flavour fades away so they taste like lemon muffins, but have extra green goodness in them.
These kale muffins are really easy to make.
They taste great and pass my kids' taste test, always getting enthusiastic thumbs up. My 8 year old daughter even happily proclaimed these to be her all time favorite muffins, even beating her previous favorite: Chocolate Chip Spinach Muffins.
This Kale Muffins Recipe was originally posted on February 12 2015, updated on November 3, 2020, with new photos, adapted method, video and more text.
Why you'll love this recipe
Naturally bright green.
Quick and easy recipe to make.
Zingy lemon flavor.
Perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack or dessert.
A great way to use up kale.
How to make Kale Muffins
Follow this step by step photo tutorial, then scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredients list and method.
Steam or boil the kale until tender, then rinse under cold water and squeeze out excess moisture.
Add to a blender with the eggs and lemon juice, then puree until smooth.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the kale puree and lemon zest and stir to combine.
Sift in the dry ingredients, then gently mix.
Fill muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15 minutes or until risen and cooked through.
I do love a muffin. They're like the cupcake's studious big sister who excelled in school and never went off the rails.
The one who really wanted to sneak out of the house at night to meet boys but never did.
The one who never saw the inside of the detention room.
But mostly I like muffins because they're the acceptable face of cake for breakfast.
Especially when there's vegetable in that cake. In a kale muffin.
And even more especially when that vegetable is kale, the trendy younger sister who was in a band and hung out with the skaters (sound the 1990s-reference klaxon).
Storage and Freezing
Store these muffins in a sealed container in a cool dry place for up to 5 days.
You can freeze the cooled kale muffins wrapped for up to 3 months.
I hadn't even heard of kale a few years ago. Then, suddenly, it is my favourite vegetable EVER.
As a massive vegetable lover I don't say that lightly - even in the run up to Valentine's day. In smoothies, soups, stews, cold salads, hot salads and... in zingy, lemony muffins!
For these kale muffins, you just need to steam or boil the kale for a few minutes, then puree it in a blender or with a handheld stick blender.
The finer you puree the kale, the greener your muffins will be!
Enjoy the as they are, or spread them with a little homemade butter for a decadent treat.
Get the Recipe
Lemon Kale Muffins
- 2 cups (100g) kale discard any woody stalks
- ½ cup (150g) butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 ½ cups (200g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F. Line or grease a muffin tray.
- Tear the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and boil or steam for a few minutes until tender. Refresh in cold water and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Add the kale, eggs and lemon juice to a blender and whiz until smooth (or puree with an emmersion blender).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the kale puree and lemon zest and mix well. The mixture may split slightly, but don't worry.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to gently combine.
- Fill the muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and can vary depending on several factors, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.