This French onion dip is lightened up with Greek yogurt, but still packed full of flavour. It’s lovely with potato chips, veggies or bread.
French Onion Dip
I remember often having French onion dip when I was a child. It was on every buffet and we dunked crisps/potato chips into it.
But that was in Canada and French onion dip certainly isn’t a ‘thing’ in the UK. Well, it should be!
It’s creamy and packed with umami flavours. It has the caramelised flavour of French onion soup – in dip form!
As soon as I dunked a carrot into this recipe, the memories of childhood parties came flooding back. I love how food, like smells, can so quickly unlock a memory.
I instantly remembered the table that my parents put out at parties and the glass punch bowl that always made an appearance…
Tips and Tricks for French Onion Dip
- This dip is so quick to make, but will really benefit from being made in advance. Keep it in the fridge overnight or for a few hours and you’ll reap the rewards as the onions permeate the yogurt.
- French onion dip is simply caramelised onions with some extra flavourings swirled into Greek yogurt. Easy and delicious with no strange ingredients.
- I use yogurt as I find that it’s too heavy with mayo or sour cream.
- You can easily substitute dairy-free yogurt to make it vegan.
How to caramelize onions
Take your time caramelising the onions. They want to be slowly browned to become lovely, fragrant and sweet. Keep stirring and if they start to burn on the bottom of the pan, just add a tablespoon of water. You may not need to though.
I saved time, and crying eyes, by slicing the onions in a food processor. Because life’s too short to sob over the cutting board…
Looking for more dip recipes?
Get the French Onion Dip recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes and cakes.
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I love hearing from my readers. You all allow me to do what I love and write this UK food blog, sharing vegetarian and vegan recipes, vegetable cake recipes, vegan cake and also easy vegan desserts.
Lighter French Onion Dip Recipe
- 5 yellow/white onions
- 3 tbsp cooking oil rapeseed, canola etc...
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce or vegetarian/vegan alternative
- 1 1/2 cups (375g) plain Greek yogurt (or vegan alternative)
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and finely slice the onions (I used a food processor).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat and add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown - about 10 minutes. Add the sugar and continue cooking, and stirring, for a few more minutes until they caramelise. If the onions begin to burn, add a tablespoon of water and continue cooking.
- Add the garlic, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook for a further minute.
- Remove the onions from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir the yogurt with the cooled onions (reserve some onions for decoration) until well mixed. Season very well. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.