This homemade Red Velvet Beet Nutella is easy to whiz up and has a portion of veg in it! The beets add a great red colour and some added goodness. This nutella is vegan and healthier.
Red Velvet Beet Nutella
Yes, that's right. Homemade Nutella - with beets instead of nasties. The Nutella advert always annoys me - insinuating that it is great for kids as it is made with mainly hazelnuts and cocoa powder when it is really mainly sugar and oil. Not for my kids.
This one, however, really is actually filled with nuts and cocoa, as well as beets!
No emulsifiers or added fat. So if you smear a bit on your toast you get a bit of veg and healthy nuts. Yay!
It's so rich and delicious that I'd even use it as icing.
This is really easy to make - particularly if you buy de-skinned hazelnuts. If not, after roasting them, I found the easiest way to remove the skins was to rub them, still warm, between two damp microfibre cloths. It wasn't a huge job, but if you can avoid it you might as well. Puree the nuts and beetroot as long as you can to get it smooth, but since this is homemade, don't expect it to be quite as plastic-smooth as store-bought.
I've had a rather busy week:
1. My Kale and Orange Cupcakes are on the FRONT COVER of Brilliant Baking magazine next to... Eric Lanlard! Swoon.
2. Since putting a little plastic computer in the bathroom, the little ones now enjoy enjoy a bit of 'me time' and have stopped waiting until AFTER they've mucked their pants to go to the loo. Surf and turf.
3. Pussycat, pussycat, where have you been? I've been to London to visit the Queen. Well, I didn't see royalty, but my sister was a good replacement. Getting home on the train was, well, challenging, after the bar.
4. I won the golden spoon for my Cauliflower Banana Bundt Cake for the Sunday Baking Club's 'experimental' theme. Funnily enough, it wasn't the cauliflower that was experimental to me, but the bundt.
Now, I know I've been calling everything Red Velvet lately.
From beet hot chocolate to beet chocolate mousse, but it just makes the humble purple root seem so glamorous.
A stage name, if you will. Like Ziggy Stardust or Cyd Cherise.
Erm, yeah. I actually just wrote some foolish drivel about beets and Broadway shows and posh dinners but really, this is homemade Nutella and I need to get a grip.
And you need me to get to the recipe.
Beet dessert recipes
Looking for more desserts with beetroot? Try these:
Slow Cooker Beet Chocolate Cake with Beet and Vanilla Topping
Beet Nut Butter Cups (vegan)
Beetroot Raspberry Chia Jam, vegan
Beetroot Chocolate Protein Balls
Red Velvet Beet Nutella
- 2 cups 2 cups (200g) hazelnuts
- 1 1/4 cup 1 ¼ cups (125g) cooked peeled beetroot
- 1/4 cup ¼ cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Spread the nuts on a rimmed baking tray and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour onto a damp tea towel (microfibre works well) and rub the skins off.
- Puree the nuts in a food processor, regularly scraping the sides, until creamy. It will take a few minutes to turn from crumbly to smooth.
- Add the beetroot and whiz until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blitz again until smooth.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.