These Ginger Sweet Potato Cookies are fragrant and flavorful. They're easy, tasty and a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes.
Sweet potato and ginger are absolutely amazing together.
The warm heat of ginger balanced with the smooth, sweet earthy potato is a marriage made in heaven.
These chewy, soft, cakey cookies are delicious with a hot mug of tea on a cool autumn afternoon.
You could add chopped chocolate or toasted pecans for some crunch or just nibble them straight up.
Biscuits, cookies, whatever you call them, they're such a quick and easy treat to whip up, aren't they?
The clocks went back yesterday, so that means that anyone with small children is suffering today. Adjust tiny little body clocks, adjust! My little ones were rather grumpy, so I plied them with these sweet potato cookies while they ran around dressed as a lion and batman. Nothing to do with impending Halloween - they're usually either naked or in fancy dress. The life of under 5s is a road filled with simple pleasures and lego.
sweet potato recipes
Still have sweet potatoes to use up? Don't let them go to waste, try one of these recipes!
Get the recipe for Ginger Sweet Potato Cookies
Did you make this sweet potato cookies recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you!
Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture with the hashtag #veggiedesserts. I love seeing your recreations of my vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Ginger Sweet Potato Cookies
- 2 cups (350g) sweet potato cooked
- 1 ⅓ cups (150g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 cups (150g) oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup (100g) butter softened
- ¼ cup (50g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C. Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper.
- Steam, bake or boil the sweet potato until soft, run under cold water to cool, drain and puree until smooth and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger together in a bowl. Stir in the oats and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and ginger and beat well. Beat in the pureed sweet potato.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking tray, press down lightly with the back of a fork and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.