Baked spiralized sweet potato fries are a fun way to eat the vibrant spuds. Follow my top tips for getting them nice and crispy.
Baked Spiralized Sweet Potato Fries
I love the way the creamy texture and deep flavour of sweet potatoes really shine through when they’re baked.
They’re great as jacket spuds with beans, hot salad and chickpea ‘tuna’.
I also love using sweet potatoes as mash, where their stunning orange colour is equalled by the wonderful sweet taste.
A fun way to use them is in baked spiralized sweet potato fries.
Spiralized Sweet Potatoes
Their firm texture makes sweet potatoes easy to spiralize, but be sure to make them thick as they’ll shrink during cooking.
You can get creative with the toppings – add cajun spice, jerk seasoning, even cinnamon and sugar!
Have you ever tried to bake sweet potato chips and found that they turn soggy?
Here are my tricks for getting them crispy:
How to make crispy baked sweet potato fries
- Toss them in cornflour (cornstarch) to absorb the moisture.
- Don’t crowd them on the pan or they’ll steam rather than bake.
- For best results, use a cooking mesh, although a hot baking tray will work well too.
- If spiralizing, make them thick as they’ll shrink when cooking.
- Make sure the oven is hot before cooking them.
- They will continue to crisp up when out of the oven, so don’t cook them too dark.
Get the Spiralized Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how this sweet potato fries recipe turned out for you! Leave a comment and star rating below and share a picture on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with the hashtag #veggiedesserts.
Spiralized Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil plus extra for greasing
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 200C/400F and lightly grease a baking tray with oil.
- Thickly spiralise the sweet potatoes, or alternatively cut into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the sweet potato with the cornflour. Add the oil and toss to coat.
- Spread it all onto the baking tray or cooking mesh, taking care not to overcrowd it or the results won’t be crispy. Use another baking tray if necessary.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning the sweet potatoes halfway through and turning the trays. They will continue to crisp up after they come out of the oven.
- Serve hot, seasoned with salt and pepper.